From the Hammer Mill to High-Tech Solutions Provider: Over 200 Years of Bosch Rexroth

Bosch Rexroth is one of the leading specialists in the field of drive and control technologies. We develop innovative concepts for machine and plant manufacturers all over the world. With its long history and unique industry expertise, the company has become synonymous with tailored solutions. Below is a brief history of Bosch Rexroth, spanning more than 200 years:

History 1795

Georg Ludwig Rexroth puts a water-powered hammer mill into operation in Elsavatal (Spessart), thus signaling the start of the company's illustrious history.

History 1850

Following the acquisition of the Stein'schen Eisengießerei iron foundry in Lohr, the company establishes its headquarters in this city in Germany's Maintal region.

History 1930

Rexroth develops high-quality specialist castings.

History 1952

The company starts producing standardized hydraulic components and hydraulics.

History 1953

First industrialized gear pump for mobile machines.

History 1959

Special gear pumps and block valves, first block construction.

History 1960

Pipe-free valve configurations using block assembly form the basis for new hydraulic applications in all in industry sectors.

History 1962

Development of a dual-circuit system for the hydraulic control of diggers.

History 1964

First short production run of radial piston pumps with three pistons. Hydro-Gigant axial piston units program in the modular system.

History 1966

Following its acquisition of Indramat GmbH in the previous year, Rexroth sets up a specialist department for electronic controls and control units.

History 1968

Development of swash plate axial piston units for mobile machines. Mannesmann AG acquires share in Rexroth.

History 1972

Rexroth launches the first hydraulic servo valve onto the market.

History 1974

Proportional valve electronics combine the benefits of hydraulics with electrics.

History 1975

Rexroth becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Mannesmann AG.

History 1976

Mannesmann Rexroth acquires Brueninghaus GmbH as well as its production of axial piston pumps and motors.

History 1979

Mannesmann Rexroth develops the world's first maintenance-free AC servomotor, thus revolutionizing the mechanical engineering industry.

History 1979

The company launches the first two-stage planetary gear developed specifically for wind energy and begins mass production.


Mannesmann Rexroth offers the first digital electronics for hitch control. Pneumatics business unit is established in the same year.

History 1990

The company wins major contracts for the supply of stage technology, e.g. for the Bayreuth Festival.

History 1993

Construction of the hydraulic vibration test facility HYDRA for the European Space Agency (ESA).

History 1994

First web-fed printing press with shaft-less drive revolutionizes the field of printing press manufacture.

History 1997

Rexroth technology is used in the world's largest shovel excavator. Launch of the "Solitaire", the world's largest pipe-laying vessel, with Rexroth hydraulic systems on board.

History 1999

Rexroth hydraulic components are used in the "mega mole" tunneling machine for the Elbe tunnel.

History 2001

Merger of Mannesmann Rexroth AG and Bosch Automation Technology to form Bosch Rexroth AG.

History 2004

Rexroth develops the first differential transmission REDULUS GPV.

History 2005

Launch of IndraDrive Mi, the first motor-integrated servo controller, in which the motor and controller are combined in a single unit.

History 2006

Rexroth brings the fuel-saving Hydrostatic Regenerative Braking System (HRB) onto the market.

History 2009

Rexroth variable-speed pump drives (DvP) combine hydraulic pumps with electric motors to create demand-controlled pump drives.

History 2011

Launch of IndraMotion MLC, a control system that can also actuate hydraulic components.